The links and bibliography below offer further information and insight into: the history of the Vocal Orchestra; women’s internment by the Japanese during World War II in general; and the wider story of Far Eastern captivity. Towards the foot of the page are links to relevant DVDs of television drama series, documentaries, and films.
- Malayan Volunteer Group: www.malayanvolunteersgroup.org.uk
- Researching FEPOW History: www.researchingfepowhistory.org.uk
- Captive Memories: www.captivememories.org.uk
- Children and Families of Far Eastern Prisoners of War: www.cofepow.org.uk
- Java FEPOW 1942 club: www.javafepow1942club.org.uk
- The Second World War in Music: www.wo2-muziek.nl/en/
- Authorised Tenko TV series website (includes Muntok memorial page): www.tenkotv.com
- Armstrong, Ralph (2003), Short Cruise on the Vyner Brooke, George Mann.
- Colijn, Helen (1995), Song of Survival: Women Interned, Ashland, Oregon: White Cloud Press.
- Campbell Hill, Alistair (1994), Scenes from Sumatra, Mary Campbell Hill.
- Jacobs, G.F. (1979), Prelude to the Monsoon: Assignment in Sumatra, George Mann.
- Jeffrey, Betty (1997), White Coolies, London: Angus & Robertson. (First published: 1954)
- MacLeod, Ian, I Will Sing to the End, Coco’s Publications.
- McDougall, William (1949), By Eastern Windows, London: Scribner.
- Simons, Jessie Elizabeth (1954), While History Passed, Melbourne: William Heinemann.
- Smyth, Sir John (1970), The Will to Live: The Story of Dame Margot Turner, London: Cassell.
- Warner, Lavinia and John Sandilands (1997), Women Beyond the Wire, London: Arrow. (First published: 1982)
Internment of women and children elsewhere in the Far East
- Abkhazi, Peggy (1995) Enemy Subject: Life in a Japanese Internment Camp 1943–45, 2nd ed., Alan Hutton.
- Allan, Sheila (2004), Diary of a Girl in Changi, Sydney: Kangaroo Press. (First published: 1994)
- Angus, Fay (1978), The White Pagoda, Tyndale House.
- Begley, Neil (1995) An Australian’s Childhood in China under the Japanese, Kangaroo Press.
- Blair Margaret (2007), Gudao, Lone Islet: The War Years in Shanghai, a Childhood Memoir, Trafford Publishing.
- Bloom, Freddy (1980), Dear Philip – A Diary of Captivity, Changi, 1942–45, Bodley Head.
- Bonga, Dieuwke Wendelaar (1996), Eight Prison Camps: A Dutch Family in Japanese Java, Ohio University Centre for International Studies.
- Cates, Tressa, (1957) The Drainpipe Diary, Vantage Press.
- Harvey, Grace (2003), Yangchow Years, Dreamstar.
- Herman, Ronny, (1992) In the Shadow of the Sun, Vanderheide.
- Hillen, Ernest (1994), The Way of a Boy: A Memoir of Java, Viking.
- Huie, Shirley Fenton, (1992), The Forgotten Ones: Women and Children Under Nippon, Angus and Robertson.
- Jackson, Daphne (2008), Java Nightmare, Upfront.
- Keith, Agnes (2002), Three Came Home, London: Eland. (First published: 1947)
- Kelly, Clara Olink (2006), The Flamboya Tree, London: Arrow.
- Kenny, Catherine (1986), Captives: Australian Army Nurses in Japanese Prison Camps, University of Queensland Press.
- Kogel, Paula (2010), The House at Ampasiet, Matador
- Lucas, Celia (1996), Prisoners of Santo Tomas, Barnsley: Pen & Sword. (First published: 1975)
- Michell, David (1988), A Boy’s War, Shaw Books.
- Prising, Robin (1975), Manila Goodbye, Heinemann.
- Redwood, Mabel (2001), It Was Like This, Barbara Anslow.
- Ruff-O’Herne, Jan (2008 ), 50 Years of Silence, William Heinemann Australia.
- Schomper, Pans (1995), Chaos after Paradise: The Promise of the Japanese Egg Man.
- Sewell, William (1948), Strange Harmony, Edinburgh House Press.
- Thomas, Mary (1983), In the Shadow of the Rising Sun, Marshall Cavendish.
- Tompkins, Gladys (1977), Three Wasted Years: Women in Changi Prison, Felicity Tompkins.
- Tyrer, Nicola (2011), Stolen Childhoods: The Untold Story of the Children Interned by the Japanese in the Second World War, Weidenfeld and Nicholson.
Civilian Internment in the Far East
- Archer, Bernice (2008), The Internment of Western Civilians Under the Japanese 1941-1945: A Patchwork of Internment, Hong Kong University Press.
- Blackburn, Kevin and Karl Hack (2007), Forgotten Captives in Japanese-Occupied Asia: National Memories and Forgotten Captivities (Routledge Studies in the Modern History of Asia), Routledge.
- Cogan, Frances B. (2000), Captured. The Japanese Internment of American Civilians in the Philippines, 1941–1945, University of Georgia Press.
- Emerson, Geoffrey Charles (2008), Hong Kong Internment, 1942-1945: Life in the Japanese Civilian Camp at Stanley, Royal Asiatic Society Hong Kong Studies Series, Hong Kong University Press.
- Gilkey, Langdon (1966), Shantung Compound: The Story of Men and Women Under Pressure, Anthony Bland.
- Gillies, Midge (2012), The Barbed-Wire University: The Real Lives of Allied Prisoners of War in the Second World War, Aurum.
- Leck, Greg (2006), Captives of Empire, The Japanese Internment of Allied Civilians in China and Hong Kong 1941-1945.
- Parkes, M. (2012), Life, Health and Social Issues Among Far East Prisoners of War – an Oral History Enquiry, University of Liverpool [Unpublished MPhil dissertation]
- Pringle, Henry F. (2011), Bridge House Survivor: Experiences of a Civillian Prisoner of War in Shanghai & Beijing 1942-1945, China Economic Review Publishing.
- Waterford, Van (1994), Prisoners of the Japanese in World War II, McFarland & Company.
- Williams, Ronald and Frank Williams (2010), Under the Poached Egg, London: Athena Press.
- Masters, Anthony (1981), Tenko (Tenko 1), London: BBC.
- Hardwick, Michael (1984), Last Tenko (Tenko 2), London: BBC.
- Valery, Anne (1985), Tenko Reunion (Tenko 3), London: Coronet.
- Barber, Noel (2007), Tanamera, London: Hodder & Stoughton. (First published: 1981)
- Farrell, J. G. (2010), The Singapore Grip, London: Phoenix. (First published: 1978)
- Neville, Peter (2006), The Rose of Singapore, Singapore: Monsoon.
- Shute, Nevil (2009), A Town Like Alice, London: Vintage. (First published: 1950)
- Song of Survival (1985)
- Tenko (1981-85)
- A Town Like Alice (1981)
- Tanamera: Lion of Singapore (1989)
- This Is Your Life: Dame Margot Turner (1978) currently unavailable
- Women in Captivity (1979) currently unavailable